From Steadfast Farm
- Dried Black beans
From Tricycle Gardens
- Hakurei Turnips
From Manakintowne Specialty Growers
From ReNew Richmond
- Tender mustard
From Albert's Organics
- Sweet potatoes
Sautéed Hakurei Turnips & Braised Mustard Greens
- 1 bunch Hakurei Turnips
- 1 lb mustard greens
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 tsp oil, divide
- ½ cup apple juice or white wine
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Cut the greens from the turnips. Wash and tear all the greens into large pieces and remove the stems. Cut the turnips into bite sized pieces. Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the turnips and bacon stirring or tossing occasionally until turnips are crispy outside and tender inside. Season with salt and pepper. In the same pan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the washed and wet greens, and add to pan in batches. Stir and mix as they wilt. Add the wine or other liquid and cook until it is mostly evaporated. Plate greens and arrange the warm turnips on top.
Roasted sweet potato and black bean tacos
from Little House Green Grocery
makes 8 tacos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 12 oz canned black beans, rinsed (or dried beans, cooked)
- 2 sweet potatoes, skinned and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 TBS oil
- 1 head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 limes
- pinch of cayenne (or more to taste)
- avocado, sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Toss sweet potatoes in oil and spread on baking sheet in single layer for about 10 minutes or until golden.
While the potatoes are cooking, combine cabbage with vinegar and juice of 1 lime
When potatoes are done, toss them with black beans, juice of 1 lime, scallions, and cayenne, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
Toast tortillas in a skillet or over gas burner until warm.
Layer tortillas with cabbage mixture, then potatoes and beans and top with cilantro. Enjoy!