Every week we pack fresh vegetables and fruit for subscribers to pick up on Wednesday. Read more about the Veggie Box subscription program here.
This week's box will contain:
From Manakintowne Specialty Growers
From Rudy's Exotic Mushrooms
- Oyster mushrooms
From Albert's Organics
- Sugar snap peas
This week's recipes and tips:
To Cut a Fresh Pineapple:
Begin by smelling the pineapple, It should smell sweet. If it has no scent, it is not ripe, and If it has a vinegar-like smell, it is overripe.
1. Cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple with a sharp knife, making a stable flat base.
2. Stand the pineapple upright and remove the skin by slicing downward with the knife.
3. Use a paring knife to remove any remaining eyes.
4. Slice the fruit away from the core. Discard core.
For a tropical drink: Puree pineapple, milk, a splash of coconut milk and a handful of ice cubes in a blender until smooth. Add rum if desired.
Basic Steamed Artichoke
For a hint more flavor, add parsley, a bay leaf, lemon juice, or black peppercorns to the water before steaming.
- Fill a medium saucepan with an inch of water and season it with a few pinches of salt. Insert a steamer basket; if the water comes up through the holes of the basket, pour a little out. Cover the pan and bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and let the water simmer.
- Meanwhile, trim the artichoke. Pull off any damaged or brown leaves and discard. Using a serrated knife, trim the stems, leaving about half an inch, then cut off the pointy top third. (The artichokes should fit, stem-end up, in the steamer basket with the lid on the pan.)
- Place the artichokes stem-end up in the steamer basket, cover, and steam for 20 minutes. Check for doneness by pulling off an outer leaf from each and poking the base of the stems with a sharp knife—if the leaves come off easily and the knife slips easily into the base, the artichokes are ready. If they’re not, steam for another 10 to 15 minutes as needed. Serve with the dipping sauce of your choice.
Mushroom and Broccolini Stir Fry
2 shallots, chopped
20 ounces sliced oyster or other mushrooms
8 oz broccolini, bottoms trimmed
3 tbsp ginger, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbs hoisin or oyster sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seeds, optional
Quinoa or brown rice for serving
Place the olive oil and ginger in a skillet. Cook for 1 minute.
Add the broccolini and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the black bean paste and vinegar and stir for 1 minute. Turn the heat off. Add the sesame seeds if using and serve stir-fry over the quinoa or brown rice.