From the Local Food Hub
- Red Beets
- Butternut Squash
From Manakintowne Specialty Growers
- Baby Red Butter Lettuce
- Hakurei Turnips
From Tricycle Gardens
- Siberian Kale
- Pink Lady Apples
- Pizza dough
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Butternut squash, roasted
- Red onion, thinly sliced and macerated in sherry vinegar
- Pink Lady Apples, thinly sliced
- Italian sausage, sliced
- Fennel, thinly sliced
- Mozzarella Cheese, grated
Roast the Butternut Squash: preheat oven to 350, place the entire squash in the oven and bake for one hour. Remove from oven, let cool, peel, and remove seeds. Mix in 1 tsp of salt and a 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
Preheat oven to 450. Sprinkle cornmeal over work surface and baking sheet. Divide pizza dough into fist size balls about 6 oz each. Using your hands, work the dough into a thin circular shape. Place pizza dough on hotel pan or pizza stone and bake for 5 minutes. Remove crust from oven.
Spread butternut squash over the crust and layer with toppings. Bake for 7 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over top of pizza, cut in to 6-8 pieces, and serve.
TURNIP, BEET AND CARROT GRATIN RECIPE
• 2 teaspoons ghee, melted
• 3 medium to large hakurei turnips, sliced very thin, divided
• 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
• 1 yellow onion, sliced very thin, divided
• 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
• 2 medium beets, peeled and sliced very thin
• 1 carrot, peeled and sliced very thin
• Pinch of cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup half-and-half or canned, full-fat coconut milk
• 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a gratin dish or other baking dish with the ghee.
2. Spread half of the turnip slices across the bottom of the baking dish in an overlapping layer.
3. Top the turnip layer with a sprinkle of parsley, half of the onion slices, and a pinch of salt.
4. Add a layer of beets, followed by more parsley, the remaining onion slices, and a pinch of salt.
5. Add the carrot slices. Sprinkle this layer with a pinch of cayenne, more parsley, and a pinch of salt.
6. Finish with the remaining turnips.
7. Cover the baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Pour in the half-and-half and continue baking, covered, for 20 minutes.
9. Remove the cover, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, and bake, uncovered, for 15 more minutes, until browned.