From the Local Food Hub
- Delicata Squash
From Tricycle Gardens
- Vates Kale
- Honeycrisp Apples
Delicata Squash Salad with Kale and Cranberry Beans
- 2 medium delicata squashes (about 2 pounds), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 bunch kale (5 ounces), large stems removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cranberry or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squashes into 1/2-inch-thick semicircles. Toss with 1 teaspoon oil, and spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until just tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Mix together balsamic vinegar and honey. Brush some of the mixture onto squash slices; reserve remaining mixture. Bake for 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, place kale in a large bowl. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add red-wine vinegar and remaining vinegar-honey mixture to saucepan, and bring to a boil. Immediately pour hot dressing over kale, and sprinkle with salt. Season with pepper. Add squash and beans. Cover with plastic, and let stand for 5 minutes. Toss until kale wilts slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Rosemary and Cumin Roasted Carrots
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 pounds carrots, assorted colors
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the carrots and pat them.
- Slice carrots diagonally (you can peel them first if you’d like. I left the peel on) and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and using your hands, toss everything together until all of the carrots are coated.
- Spread the sliced carrots over one large baking sheet (or two small), and roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until carrots are golden-brown and softened. Stir the carrots with a spatula once half-way through the roasting process.
- Serve roasted carrots with your favorite entrée.