EVERY WEEK WE PACK FRESH VEGETABLES AND FRUIT FOR PICK UP AT LITTLE HOUSE EACH WEDNESDAY. READ MORE ABOUT THE VEGGIE BOX SUBSCRIPTION HERE.
This week's box will contain:
From the Local Food Hub
- green cabbage
- Butternut squash
- sweet potatoes
- Albemarle Pippin and Granny Smith Apples
From Albert's Organics
This week's recipes:
A sweet alternative to mashed potatoes - great with roasted meats
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound apples peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, combine parsnips, apples, and water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until parsnips are completely tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer mixture to a food processor, add unsalted butter, and process until smooth. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.
by: Three Many Cooks
- 3 cups cabbage quartered, cored and sliced ½-inch thick
- 3 cups butternut squash peeled, seeded, and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced ½-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 9-inch piecrust from a 14.1-ounce refrigerated box
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 heaping cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- Place cabbage, butternut squash, and onions on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss with olive oil thyme, and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Adjust oven racks to lowest and middle positions, set vegetables on bottom rack in cold oven; set to 425 degrees and roast, stirring once, until just cooked and starting to color, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll pie dough to a 14-inch circle and set on a large cookie sheet. Mix cream cheese and ¾ of the grated cheese of choice in a large bowl. Add hot vegetables to cheese mixture , toss to thoroughly mix. Adjust seasonings. Spread mixture over pastry, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold pastry border over vegetables and sprinkle with remaining grated cheese. Bake on middle rack until bubbly and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, slice, and serve.