For your own veggie box or meal kit subscription, check out our online shop!
From PerryHill Produce
- Green beans
From Manakintowne Specialty Growers
- Ukon gold potatoes
- Cherriette radishes
From Fantastic Fungi
- Fresh oyster mushrooms
Baked polenta with mushrooms
Baked Polenta Pie
Yield: Serves 6Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 65 minutes
A thick and creamy layer of polenta is topped with roasted vegetables, tomato sauce, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheese and baked until bubbly.
To make the tomato sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 packgage Pomi crushed tomatoes
1 TBS magic sprinkles (or to taste)
Pinch of coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the polenta pie:
2 portabella mushrooms, sliced
1 qt oyster mushrooms, torn
1 pt shiitakes, stem removed, caps sliced
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 cup polenta
3 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 container of fromage blanc
1 ball mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, and herbs. Season with salt and black pepper and let simmer for about 30 minutes over low heat.
3. While the sauce is simmering, sauté mushrooms in olive oil and season with salt and pepper until they are desired consistency.
4. In a large pot, bring the milk, butter, sugar and salt to a light simmer. Slowly add the polenta to the pot, whisking constantly. Once it starts to thicken, trade the whisk out for a spoon and stir until the polenta pulls away from the sides of the pot. Add half of the Parmesan cheese and fromage blanc to the polenta and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish that has been coated with butter. Top with the other half of the parmesan.
5. Evenly spread the mushrooms on top of the polenta. Spread the tomato sauce over the mushrooms and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Place the pie in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until bubbly and the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Let rest for about 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.