- Mixed Cherry tomatoes
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- Assorted summer squash
- Yellow peaches
From BiRite Market's Eat Good Food
Summer Corn and Tomato Salad
Serves 6 to 8
3 large ears of corn
3 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
2 TBSP red wine vinegar, more as needed
1 large shallot, minced
1 TSP honey
1 TSP Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
2 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks (Substitute with mixed cherry tomatoes for a pop of color; just cut into quarters)
1 medium bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro (Substitute with basil for a fresh taste of summer!)
Bring a medium pot of well-salted water to a boil. Cut the kernels from the corn, add kernels to the pot and cook for 1 1/2 minutes (they should still be a little crunchy.) Pour into a colander and run cool water over the corn to stop the cooking. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, shallot, honey mustard, 1 TSP salt and a few grinds of black pepper and whisk to combine. Combine the corn, tomatoes, pepper, onion, cucumber and cilantro in a medium bowl, drizzle with about half of the dressing and toss gently with your hands. Add more dressing as needed to coat the vegitables lightly and toss again. Taste and add more salt or vinegar as needed.
From Epicurious.com (Bon Appetit June 2001)
HERBED SUMMER SQUASH AND POTATO TORTE WITH PARMESAN
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 12 ounces assorted summer squash, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans. Set aside 1/4 cup sliced green onions. Toss remaining green onions, cheese, flour, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
- Layer 1/6 of potatoes in concentric circles in bottom of 1 prepared pan, overlapping slightly. Layer 1/4 of squash in concentric circles atop potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Repeat with 1/6 of potatoes, then 1/4 of squash and 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Top with 1/6 of potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture and press gently to flatten. Repeat procedure with second cake pan and remaining potatoes, squash, oil, and cheese mixture.
- Cover pans with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until tortes begin to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cool. Cover with foil and chill. Rewarm, covered with foil, in 350°F oven until heated through, about 30 minutes.)
- Cut each torte into wedges. Sprinkle wedges with 1/4 cup green onions; serve.