From Tricycle Gardens
From Manakintowne Specialty Growers
- french breakfast radishes
- mixed herb bunches
- fava greens
From Albert's Organics
- rainbow carrots
CHILLED CARROT SOUP WITH GARDEN HERBS
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon golden brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups canned chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Chopped fresh chives
Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and onions and sauté 4 minutes. Add thyme, brown sugar and nutmeg; saut é until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Add chicken broth. Cover pot; simmer until carrots are very soft, about 25 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to processor. Add 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Puree vegetables until smooth. Return puree to pot. Stir in orange juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Sprinkle with chives.
ARUGULA AND RADISH SALAD WITH PECORINO AND LEMON
- 2 tablespoons finely grated plus 3 tablespoons coarsely grated Pecorino
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher or sea salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small bunch radishes, trimmed and scrubbed
- 4 cups tightly packed wild arugula, rinsed and thoroughly dried
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of finely grated Pecorino, lemon juice, a couple pinches of salt and a few grinds of pepper if you're using it. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Slice the radishes into thin rounds. You should have about 1 cup.
- In a serving bowl, combine the radishes, arugula, 3 tablespoons coarsely grated Pecorino and about two thirds of the dressing. Toss well, taste, and add more dressing if needed. Serve right away, before the radishes and arugula start to wilt!