Every week we pack fresh vegetables and fruit for subscribers to pick up on Wednesday. Read more about the Veggie Box subscription program here.
This week's box will include:
From Manakintowne Specialty Growers
- Salad Mix
From the Local Food Hub
- Crowne Orchard Granny Smith Apples
From Albert's Organics
- Rainbow Chard
- Sunrise Medley potatoes
- Golden Beets
- Roasting herbs
This week's recipes:
roasting brings out the sweet flavor of beets. Golden beets look pretty when tossed with the fresh herb and lemon. If you’re a lemon lover, be sure to add the squeeze of fresh lemon juice after the beets are roasted.
1 1/2 pounds golden or red beets, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces or wedges
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as marjoram, oregano and/or rosemary (your roasting herbs will work well here)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, (optional)
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine oil, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beets; toss to coat with the seasoning mixture.
- Spread the beets evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until the beets are tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss the roasted vegetables with lemon juice, if using.
Comforting and oh so tasty..
1 Pound Swiss Chard (Or Other Greens - See Notes Above)
1 Pound Potatoes, Peeled & Cut Into Quarters
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Large Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
Fine Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Red Hot Pepper Flakes
Wash the chard and trim the stems, then cut the stems into 1 inch pieces.
Fold the leaves together, and cut into 1/2 inch strips.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then add the potatoes and cook until just almost tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the stems from the chard and cook another 10 minutes, then add the leaves and cook until wilted.
Drain the potatoes and chard very well in a colander.
In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic.
Season the oil with salt and pepper and add the red pepper flakes.
Add the Swiss chard and potatoes, then cook over medium heat, stirring often, and mashing the potatoes gently as they cook, for about 8 minutes.
Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed, then serve warm.