From Tomten Farm:
- Nicola Potatoes
- German White Garlic
- Corno Di Toro and Yaglik long red sweet peppers
- Napa Cabbage
- Chiogga Beets
From Urban Choice Mushroom Farm
- Oyster Mushrooms
- Honeycrisp and Stayman apples
Asian noodles with napa cabbage and mushrooms
Adapted from VegKitchen.com
- 15- to 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons neutral vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium natural soy sauce
- 12 leaves napa cabbage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and sliced
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms, torn
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, to taste
- 8 ounces wide Chinese wheat noodles or udon noodles
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or red wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slices and blot briefly between clean tea-towels or several layers of paper towel to remove excess moisture.
Slowly heat about 1 tablespoon of the oil with the soy sauce in a wok or stir-fry pan. Add the tofu and stir quickly to coat. Stir-fry over medium-high heat until the tofu is golden-brown and crisp on most sides. Remove to a plate and set aside until needed.
Prepare the vegetables as described. Before beginning to stir-fry them, begin cooking the noodles in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil with the sesame oil and sherry. Add the vegetables and ginger and stir-fry over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until everything is just wilted and tender-crisp.
When the noodles are done, stir them in with the vegetables and season to taste with additional soy sauce and pepper. Toss well, remove from the heat, and serve at once.
Beet and apple salad
adapted from FoodAndWIne.com
- 4 large beets (2 1/2 pounds)
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/3 cup salted pistachios, chopped
- 1 tart apple, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 375°. In a baking dish, lightly drizzle the beets and thyme with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and roast until the beets are tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into 3/4-inch dice.
In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar with the mustard. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of oil until emulsified. Add the horseradish and season with salt and pepper; toss with the beets and pistachios. Transfer the beets to a platter, top with the apple and serve.