Every week we pack fresh vegetables and fruits for our Veggie Box subscribers. These boxes (with recipes) are ready for pickup every Wednesday!
This week's box will include:
From Origins Farm
From Manakintowne Specialty Growers
- salad mix
- Edible flowers
From Alberts Organics
This week's recipes:
a savory riff on the famous Dutch Baby pancake. A great veggie side or main dish.
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large scallions, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove the top rack in the oven and preheat to 450°. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spinach until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain and let cool. Squeeze the spinach dry and coarsely chop it.
- In a blender, mix the eggs, milk, flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and the nutmeg until smooth.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt the butter. Add the scallions and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high and cook for 1 minute without stirring. Pour in the batter, sprinkle with the Parmesan and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Cut into wedges and serve hot or warm.
Using Edible Flowers - nasturtiums
First found in Mexico and Peru, nasturtiums provide tremendous color when added to an salad. They have a peppery flavor and can easily be used in pasta dishes as well.
They also provide a good deal of Vitamin C, an important nutrient in maintaining the health of your immune system.
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Garlic (1 clove, minced)
- Red Pepper Flakes
Preheat oven to 325F.
Wash broccoletti, trim end and cut thicker spears in half lengthwise. Lay on a foil-line baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with minced garlic, salt to taste and lightly season with red pepper flakes. Roast in oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until done to your preference. You may choose to flip the broccoletti half way through.